Thanks for stopping by!
My name is Jose Maria, I live in Helsinki and I’m a Data analyst. I love learning, eating and deep conversations.
A few details about me
- Born in northern Spain, later I moved to northern Europe, where I have been living > 5 years in both Estonia and Finland.
- Studied Mechanical engineering, but the frustration of making the same analysis week after week led me to learning R and automatizing processes and got me hooked on analytics.
- I have been heavily involved with Lean manufacturing, the principles amazes me and I try to apply them outside the factory as well.
- Music has been a big part of my life, being part of a band in my teenage years, and later becoming an amateur DJ.
- I love to cook and sharing a good meal with great people around.
Mission and values
From a professional perspective, my mission is to be a change agent towards more informed decision making through data. From a personal perspective, my mission is learning every day, and sharing life with great people.
My main values are honesty, independence, kindness, and simplicity.
My favorite 12 problems
The 12 favorite problems, is a good representation of what do I care about and what is in my mind. Here is my list (in no particular order):
- How can technology assist us for a better future?
- How do I make a positive impact on the world w/o compromising my principles and values?
- How can I assist other people to making better decisions?
- What would it be like if I was to become a great writer/communicator?
- How can I live a balanced healthy life, both mentally and physically?
- How do I strike a balance between achievement, play, social/relationship and personal/spiritual growth?
- Will I ever be completely alright with myself and if not, can I be alright with that?
- What would it be like to be able to shape my habits?
- How can I create periods of sustained focus and deep work where I am less distracted and accomplish meaningful work?
- How can I nurture my friendships and build solid new friendships?
- How do merge the great passions of my life with my talent?
- How can I work in a way that insights passion and sustained energy?
Concept was popularized by Richard Feynman. In his own words:
“You have to keep a dozen of your favorite problems constantly present in your mind, although by and large, they will lay in a dormant state. Every time you hear or read a new trick or a new result, test it against each of your twelve problems to see whether it helps. Every once in a while there will be a hit, and people will say, ’How did he do it? He must be a genius!”
- Richard Feynman